Saturday April 15th
11am - 3pm
119 Ingraham St.
Brooklyn, NY 11237
Come learn about using natural dyes! This workshop focuses on creating an indigo dye vat from scratch using only natural sources.
The indigo flower extract needs special steps and materials to stay on the fabric. Most recipes use chemicals that can be dangerous. We will use a formula popularized by french natural dye master Michel Garcia, which uses sugar and cal.
Every participant will receive:
- 1 organic cotton tote bag
- 1 organic cotton t-shirt to be dyed
- 1 zine with a brief history on natural dyes, general instructions and photos of common dye sources
- 1 zine with the recipe to replicate the indigo vat at home and where to buy the ingredients needed
- 1 32 oz. jar filled with the solution we will create
- Cal and fructose to calibrate the solution at home
Participants are encouraged to bring other items that they might want to dye.
We will also have mimosas and snacks!